9.28.2012

Day After: Mushroom and Leek Turkey Meatloaf Panini



I'll make anything you want for dinner, I told Burger Boy. We were standing in our kitchen, feeling particularly haggard from a crazed week as we did our usual scurry around for dinner routine of grabbing random bits of whatever is in our fridge and piecing them together to make something resembling a meal. He took a thoughtful pause and I sat back, waiting for his response, half expecting him to request something complicated and half expecting him to be craving the obvious burger. When he broke the silence, he prefaced his response with a "don't judge me" but then continued on to request that I make him meatloaf.


Meatloaf?!

I can't remember the last time I had meatloaf and never in a million years would have pegged him to pick meatloaf but the more I thought about it, it just seemed to make sense. It's simply comforting in every which way and was exactly what we needed. I have fond memories of my Mom making us meatloaf as kids. The way the meat is spiked with herbs and held together with eggs and breadcrumbs and topped with that classic tangy ketchup concoction that crusted up so perfectly when baked. One bite, and you just know that you're loved. There's a reason why they call it comfort food, I suppose.


So last night, I gathered up some traditional meatloaf making supplies - ground turkey (we're eating a little leaner these days), eggs, assorted herbs and panko. Then, to boost up the flavor a bit, I added thinly sliced mushrooms and leeks to give my 'loaf some personality. Gracing the top, a mixture of tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, Miso and black pepper, which gave the whole thing a nice, tangy finish. We enjoyed our meatloaf with a heaping serving of rosemary-buttermilk mashed potatoes, just to drive home the classic spirit of this dish all the way home.


Today, we were left with the remnants from last night's feast: a tupperware container of meatloaf and the craving for more. A quick purchase of some crusty sourdough bread and a couple of slices off of a brick of Cabot cheese and we were in business - meatloaf paninis for all!


Mushroom and Leek Turkey Meatloaf

- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 package of crimini mushrooms, scrubbed clean and sliced thin
- The white part of one leek, root and green part removed and discarded

- 1/2 lb. ground dark turkey meat
- 1/2 lb. ground light turkey meat

- 1 tbs. finely chopped fresh sage, rosemary and thyme
- 1 TBS Dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- Panko, as needed
- A splash of Worcestershire Sauce
- Meatloaf Glaze (recipe below)
- Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400. In a large skillet, heat the mushrooms and leeks in a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt until the leeks are translucent and the mushrooms have browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
Once the mixture has cooled slightly, add both 1/2 lbs. of ground turkey, the herbs and mustard. Add the egg and splash of Worcestershire and mix (I find with your hands is easiest!) until it comes together. Add just enough Panko to help keep it's shape. Shape the meatloaf into a pan and spread the meatloaf glaze on top evenly. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the meat is cooked through. Remove from oven and let the meat cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.

Meatloaf Glaze

- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Miso
- Black Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients until well incorporated.


7 comments:

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Not gonna lie, I love meatloaf :) Adding mushrooms and leeks is a great idea. Now I am craving some!

Michelle Collins said...

I have fond memories of meatloaf growing up, too. And I love the creative use of the leftovers!

Wendy said...

Wow, this sounds phenomenal and it's definitely something my kids would eat! Thanks! And thanks for the Cabot love!

Can we pin your gorgeous pix? Linked to your post, of course :)

The Small Boston Kitchen said...

Thanks for the comments! Wendy - feel free to pin away..Thanks!

Wendy said...

Thanks!

Mom said...

This looks and sounds delicious! Love the comfort food for this time of year!

I am busy in the kitchen making my special homemade spaghetti sauce. Hmmm...wonder if I could have some thick slices of your meatloaf to cut into thick chunks to replace my meatballs. Now that would certainly complete my Italian night dinner!! Yum!

Mike said...

That sounds -- and looks -- awesome. Not only do you have great recipes, your blog is filled with really great photography. I need some lessons!

What's Hot From The Small Boston Kitchen