3.02.2012

Chocolate Chip Oreo Rice Krispie Treats



Everyone has their own definition of comfort food and while tough to formally define what it is because it changes from person to person, we all know what it means to us. Whether your taste buds lean to the sweet or savory side of things, the result is still the same - it's that special something you eat when you want to feel comforted. It's that one dish that you like to cozy up to. I usually find that these sorts of dishes aren't complicated and in fact, are quite the opposite. Isn't it all about the simple things in life, anyway?


To me, my taste buds tend to crave the salt, but that doesn't mean I don't like the sweet side of things too. Simply enough, one of my favorite sweet comfort foods is a good Rice Krispie Treat. Crackly from the cereal and sweet from the melted marshmallows, I can't get enough. What's more, they are a total blank canvas for other candies and cookie crumbles to work their way into, heightening this humble after school snack. 


The other day a client had requested assorted baked goods for a party that she was throwing this weekend. She wanted it to be a very casual evening and requested a fun menu. While simple by design, I couldn't think of anything more fun than Chocolate Chip Oreo Rice Krispie Treats. No frills, no tricks and glitz, just a simple and satisfying treat. I was sure to make a double batch, I knew all too well I wouldn't be able to keep away from them..


Chocolate Chip Oreo Rice Krispie Treats

- About 20 Oreo Cookies
- 5 cups Rice Krispies
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 cups mini marshmallows

Line a 9 x 11 cake pan with parchment paper or grease the sides of it with butter. Set aside. Using a resealable sandwich bag, crush the Oreo cookies with the back of a spoon. In a large bowl, mix the Oreo cookie crumbles with the Rice Krispie Treats and add the chocolate chips. Set aside. 

In a medium-sized sauce pan, over medium-low heat, melt the butter thoroughly and add the Vanilla Extract. Gradually stir in the marshmallows. Continuously stir them until they melt and combine with the butter. Working quickly, pour the hot marshmallow mixture over the Rice Krispies and gently stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and press the mixture down into the pan with your hands. Let it sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Remove Rice Krispie Treats from pan and cut into triangles or desired shape. Store in a airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. 

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I don't think of Rice Krispie treats as comfort food, but they do remind me of home. My dad and mom like to make their own versions. Dad=rock hard treats. Mom=soft and gooey treats. This version looks awesome though!

Elizabeth said...

I love krispie treats, and these look even better than the original!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I love rice krispy treats too! Adding oreos and chocolate chips is a great idea!

Kerstin said...

Yum, I love oreos and this just takes them to a whole new level!

MOLLY GALLER said...

Why did I never think to combine Oreos with Rice Krispie Treats? Pure, dessert genius! And from a girl who prefers savory and salty!

What's Hot From The Small Boston Kitchen